Our curriculum consists of ten levels, each of which is a 16-hour course, divided into eight 2-hour periods.
· Level 1 is a course designed for the true beginner, someone who has had no previous experience with the Portuguese language. It covers basic vocabulary, the verbs ser, estar, and ter, and verbs in the present tense. The activities in Level 1 focus on helping each student to speak Portuguese, using a controlled and limited vocabulary.
· Level 2 continues to focus on the present tense and teaches students how to use irregular verbs, prepositions, demonstratives and specialized vocabulary.
· Level 3 is an intensive study of the preterit tense. Object pronouns, reflexive and intransitive verbs are also covered in this level.
· Level 4 looks at the differences between the preterit and the imperfect tenses and helps students fine-tune their abilities to speak of past events.
· Level 5 is an intermediate conversation class. We take a break from learning new material to focus on practicing the topics covered in levels 1 - 4 through different conversational exercises.
· Level 6 focuses on formal and informal commands, the perfect tense, and the differences between por and para. Much emphasis is placed on speaking in both Levels 4 and 5 and working out the nuances of expressing oneself in Portuguese.
· Level 7 deals with the subjunctive mood, colloquial expressions, passive voice, prepositions and the conditional tense. Again, a strong emphasis is placed on incorporating these tenses into everyday speech.
· Level 8 deals with the past subjunctive and compound tenses such as the past perfect and future perfect. Again, a strong emphasis is placed on incorporating these tenses into everyday speech.
· Level 9 is an advanced conversation class. This level focuses on general review and practice.
· Level 10 concludes the curriculum with a thorough review of all grammar covered in the previous levels. Conversation is emphasized and each classes chooses literature that it would like to read. This can be current events taken from newspapers or a novel in Portuguese.